Hey,

That book was sent to press just after the first iPad was launched
(early-mid 2010) so some of the code is getting old (from 2009)!

I didn't get the same error as you, but the sample also didn't work for me
just now; this updated gist shows code that does work (3 lines modified). I
also allowed MonoDevelop 3 to upgrade the solution/project file.

https://gist.github.com/2893977

In this case, it looks like the more aggressive GC was causing a problem
for me.

When you say they 'almost work', do you mean they are crashing out? In the
simulator, on a device, or both?

HTH
Craig