Hello everyone,

The title isnt really self explanatory, so I will explain my situation in
detail.
I'm in the inception fase of building an iOS application and I came across a
little problem which hopefully some of you can help me out with.

The situation:
My App will export some data to the cloud via REST and JSON, I figured this
is light weight so performance will be at best. The user should be able to
access this 'data' on other devices and maybe even via the web, so I need
some sort of authentication.

Since I'm using REST with SSL; is it safe to send plain text
username/password or should I encrypt it even though SSL takes care of this?
Furthermore, I think it's annoying that someone has to login with
username/password; do you guys see some sort of 'identification' type which
would be more user friendly or is the username/password thing the best I can
do?

Hopefully it's clear enough, if not; let me know what I forgot!

Regards,
Mittchel