Depends on how secure you want it to be - the sandbox (plus curated app
store) generally means other applications can never hack at/steal your
data, and in the /Library/ folder end-users generally won't find it either.
However, if the phone/device was stolen, unencrypted files are fairly
simple for someone to find (eg. using
PhoneDisk<http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/>,
doesn't require jailbreaking). So if you want to protect the data even if a
phone is lost or stolen, considering encryption is probably a good idea.

There's nothing "built-in" to Xamarin to do that, but there is a component
available to purchase on the store

SQLCipher
https://components.xamarin.com/view/sqlcipher-for-xamarin/

HTH