My M17's kickup rudder,  http://msog.org/how-to/rudders/honshell.cfm , only 
feels
spongy in very light airs when it's barely under load . . . Otherwise, if the 
boat is
percolating along, it feels very solid.

My '84, hull #389, came with three gudgeons/pintels and no lifting mechanism, 
and no
arrangement for the pintels to accommodate the lifting rod used on newer M17's 
. . .

I weighed the options of buying all new hardware from Bob, which he offered, or 
going
to a kickup, which I thought would work better for the unexpected groundings I 
was
encountering when Great Lakes water levels were at record lows during the 
2000/2001
seasons . . .

Fortunately, when I had my worst grounding, on rocky bed of Mackinac Island's 
harbor,
I sheared a bolt on the lower pintel, an easy repair possible "in the field", 
rather
than ripping out the lower gudgeon . . .

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Bob
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 1:44 PM
Subject: M17 Rudders

Larry
I just sent you the photos....

All M_17s to my knowledge have this system. I think some of the early
boats with only two pintles didn't. (?)

I also suspect that as these boats get sold to new owners, many
people don't know how the rudders on the 15 and 17 work. Some
of the boats I have seen have bolts instead of the rod for the rudder.

Some people don't even know that the 15 rudder is folding.

Fair winds
Bob

Larry E Yake wrote:

Bob,
Could you send me some copies of those photos?  Do you sell a "conversion
kit" to change over to the raisable rudder?
Thanks,
Larry

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:37:39 -0800 Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Fred

I just sent you some photos of how the system works.

Fair winds
Bob Eeg

Frederick M Berthrong wrote:

Re the raisable rudder,

Ever since I got my M17 hull number 300 I have read and see photos
of the
raisable rudder.  I'm not talking about the kick up rudder but the
outfit
that allows the rudder to slide upward to clear the ground while on
the
trailer.  My M17 did not come with such a contraption.  Is the
hardware
available from somewhere?

Thanks.

Fred Berthrong
Dulce, M17 #300
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to