One more question (okay maybe now I'm getting lazy but I can't seem to easily track down my original distributions for some of the pieces I have stuck together to get my MOO operating the way I want it)...

My MOO-based project is nearing completion. It isn't a public MOO in the convention sense, in that it won't take 'members', although in the course of serving up its stories occasionally a conventional MOO login may be offered to the user as an alternate way to experience it. What it does is use the MOO server as platform from which to serve dynamic multimedia web-pages (been done, I know) that are centred around an 'interactive storytelling' engine that is of my invention. I call it 'nScript' (for narrative scripting), and it's a way of contextuatilisng 'writing' (sequences of paragraphs or video clips) based on a variety of variables. I have borrowed a bunch of code as a wrapper for my original routines. At this moment I won't go into why this could be very useful. So my question is: what obligations do I need to fulfil to the coders of the platforms I've built upon or modified? What licences do I need to respect and how if I were to offer a web page (free to the user, but with ads and possibly subscriptions) a system that incorporated the following ...

Server-related
--------------
LambaMOO 1.8.1 (with no modifications of my own)
FUP 1.8 (ditto)

Database-related
LambdaCore (1997 version I think, HEAVILY modified by me, actually so gutted as to be nearly unrecognisable, and with just a little bit more effort I could probably replace everything but won't bother if I don't have to)
E_WEB (also fairly heavily hacked by me to behave in certain cases like HTTP 1.1 instead of 1.0)

My original code contribution consists of a bunch of database verbs that grew around the seed provided by the $note object that was implemented in the database I received. Almost no other parts of the database are *required* to interface with this new code (although I use player objects a lot in some of my uses of my code). E_WEB, however, is crucial. When my site goes live, do I need to release the source code for my new database objects and verbs? I probably wouldn't mind doing this, in fact I would consider it pretty good protection against ever being locked out of using my own tools by anyone who might want to invest in my company. If I can't hide it, they can't either. I might even release my code under the GPL if I'm not required to, for just that very reason.

I'm just wondering what are my obligations as the situation stands. If any of you can help me, I would appreciate it. If not, that's cool. What else are people working on anyway? I get the feeling that there are a lot of people beetling away in private on their projects and who are subscribed to this list but keeping their cards close to their chest.

tM

############################################################# This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to the mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Send administrative queries to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>