From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Richard
Halegua Comic Art
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 1:14 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID TO THINK BRUCE WAS USING SHILLS

I have read all these posts with great attention as there are many salient
points that have been made and I cannot believe any intelligent person
would think Bruce would use shills.

to wit:

1) in order for an auction to successfully use shills, they have to be
privy to information about bids.

it isn't possible for  anyone to successfully use a shill without knowing
how much a person IS bidding, which is information that Ebay does not make
available to anyone, most especially the seller. As a result when a shill
bids (without that info) he has no way of knowing if his bid is going to
actually raise the price, or if he is going to be getting stuck with a
poster that he does not want. This on top of the simple fact that on
eBay... MOST BIDDERS DO NOT ENTER THEIR TOP BID OR IN MORE CASES, ANY BIDS
UNTIL THE LAST SECONDS OF AN AUCTION...

so if you as a bidder bid $10,000 at the last 20 seconds, it would be
nearly impossible for a shill bidder to have that information fast enough
to enter his own bid to drive you up.. presuming you can be driven up.

Ebay is not like Sotheby's or Christies, where you bid with the auctioneer
who's house bidders are handling A) phone bids B) mail in bids C) absentee
bids ... and as a result, they have all the information except that of the
bidders in the room with paddles, and they bid up to the max bids they have
on hand, against the reserves.. this is true shill bidding

2) If Bruce was going to be so stupid himself to use shills, he would have
to use  other bid accounts out of intelligence so as not to get caught and
also so that even if you could see who the bidders are, that they would be
numerous enough & different enough so as to avoid exposure.

What went on here in no way, shape or form looks like Bruce or any one else
was using this mode of operation because if he was... he would not have
been bounced from ebay.

3) Every one on this list KNOWS that Phillip Wages is A) a hardcore
collector, B)an honest decent person. So it isn't likely that he was a
shill for Bruce and if youthink he was.. you're blowing smoke up your own
a$$

don't you think if he was going to act like a crook (shill bidding is
crooked), he would have mopre intelligence than to be "caught" in this
way.. Get real folks..

4) Conspiracy theories are a joke. There is a simple adage... "The only way
a secret can be kept secret between 2 people is if one of them is dead".
Bruce's detractors in this instance are accusing Bruce of a conspiracy...
THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY HERE

5) Bruce could just as easily have told all of you , me. his email list
etc.. that he was booted off eBay for some other reason and not even expose
that Phillip was bidding on his auctions (presuming you didn't know
already). But the fact that he has is one more example of what we call
TRANSPARENCY. Bruce had absolutely no reason to put that out there of he
had something to hide.

so what we have here is nothing more than ridiculous charges by whichever
of you has accused Bruce - or just insinuated - that there was any
impropriety on Bruce's part. I've known Bruce for 37 years - as a matter of
fact, it most of my 48 year old life. They used to call me "little Richie"
back then, and in all those years I have never never never never thought
that Bruce was ever trying to pull the wool over my eyes, your eyes, ebay's
eyes or anyone else's eyes

Also, my own experiences with eBay fall right in line with Bruce's claims
in his emails to the group & elsewhere. But everyone has their detractors
because we all have people who wouldn't believe something we say no matter
how many people stand up & tell you otherwise, because that's your belief..
and no one can change your beliefs, if you believe anything other than what
I'm telling you.

Also, to those that think that "ALL DEALERS STICK TOGETHER".. Screw you!!!
and I mean it. I'm not standing by Bruce because he's a "DEALER". I stand
by Bruce because I know him and  I KNOW HE MUST BE TELLING THE TRUTH AND I
STAND BY ANYONE WHO IS TRUTHFUL. DEALER COLLECTOR OR JUST THE GUY ON THE
STREET. ..... IF I LIKE YOU .. OR EVEN IF I DON'T.. because it's the right
thing to do.

But all of this is moot because there are two camps.. those that believe,
and those who do not.. and I'm unlikely to be able to make you change your
mind in either case