Freeman,

PLAY IT AGAIN SAM is one of my favorite Woody Allen films of all time, along with LOVE AND DEATH. It doesn't get the respect it deserves from most critics. To me it's a classic blend... hilarious in parts and poignant and "meaningful" in others without getting too serious about itself as later Allen films tended to do. As you remarked, it is set in San Francisco, unlike the bulk of his later films which are almost always set in NYC and environs. I think this helps. Although ANNIE HALL and MANHATTAN were undeniably great, the NYC stuff of the last 20 years has a certain sameness about it for me, causing one Allen film to blend into another in my mind, but his earlier films were set in a variety of locations and I think that helps adds a unique feel to each. I'm sure that in 1972 all of those posters were very affordable and readily available in the movie memorabilia shops on the west coast. I remember buying a couple during that time myself, paying something like $10 for a 1962 TIME MACHINE... if only I'd known. The way the posters were shown in that film, treated casually, with the bottom of the six sheet of CASABLANCA being crumpled up by the bed pillows, is exactly how movie posters were viewed at the time... temporary, even throw-away, pop wall art.

-- JR

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:02
Subject: [MOPO] Remember The Discussion Of What Film Posters Are Visible In A Movie?

Freeman here

This has nothing to do with anything but I am just distracting before going back on Andale  to throw even more good money at Ebay with no tangible returns.......kind of like a strip club.

  Anyway PLAY IT AGAIN SAM  was on HBO.  What a hilarious film.   But more amazing was the posters,  no doubt all real,  none in frames and all over the apartment of Woody Allen's here playing the most neurotic film critic on the planet living in San Francisco  (weird to see the Pacific Ocean and not Central Park while Woody afoot.)   Anyway  above  breeze through to kitchen was THE JUNGLE PRINCESS,  TARZAN AND THE LEOPARD WOMAN,   ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT.   In kitchen  KEY LARGO,
near front door  re-release  1sht CASABLANCA.  Far right of sofa on wall an original release  CASABLANCA insert.  And tons of festival and rep house  calendars.

But the most jaw dropping piece,  a pinned up Six Sheet of MALTESE FALCON directly above his bed. With bottom edges crimping  from pillows hitting.  Ouch.

Film shot in 1972   possibly these pieces  were  still dirt cheap.  Taped up,  no frame

Quickly wrote down one of my favorite bits of dialogue for your Sunday chuckle

Allan Felix: That's quite a lovely Jackson Pollack, isn't it?
Girl in museum: Yes, it is.
Allan Felix: What does it say to you?
Girl in museum: It restates the negativeness of the universe. The hideous lonely emptiness of existence. Nothingness. The predicament of man forced to live in a barren, godless eternity like a tiny flame flickering in an immense void with nothing but waste, horror and degradation, forming a useless bleak straitjacket in a black absurd cosmos.
Allan Felix: What are you doing Saturday night?
Girl in museum: Committing suicide.
Allan Felix: What about Friday night?

freeman fisher
8601 west knoll drive #7