From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
channinglylethomson
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 2:10 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Off-Topic: Politics and Posters (EBAY's Meg Whitman and
Republican Nominee Mitt Romney) NY Times Article of 1/9/2007

I was reading the New York Times today and almost gagged on my coffee
as I read the following article on former Massachusetts Governor Mitt
Romney's hi-tech fundraising campaign for the Republican candidacy for
President in 2008:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/us/politics/09romney.html

If you take a look,  EBAY Chief Executive Meg Whitman was working the
phones for the former Governor and is quoted in the article.  The
reason I was distressed by this fact is that as an EBAY buyer and
seller, I have paid a fair share of fees toward the bottom line of the
company over the last 10 years.  Much of all fees incurred eventually
end up in the bank accounts of the company's highly-paid Executive
officers.  Meg Whitman is a voracious supporter of Mitt Romney,
unarguably the Republican positioned to the far right on the political
spectrum.  Make no mistake, he is a right wing, Mormon, religious,
extremist candidate, not a centrist or moderate.  So, inadvertently, I
am finding myself in the position of supporting Governor Romney in his
run for the candidacy via my contributions to Ms. Whitman's salary.

I realize that Meg Whitman has a right as a citizen (and within Federal
donation guidelines) to support any candidate she choses.  However, I
do question the judgment of the company and of the Executives on board
in allowing her to so openly and flagrantly support such a candidate.
It's not really the money, in this instance, but rather her influence
and persuasiveness.  Meg Whitman is a very powerful person, undoubtedly
one of the most significant business leaders in the world.

I question her judgment in this matter.  Anyone have any thoughts on
this or am I just spinning my wheels by bringing it up here?  My sense
is that many members of the so-called EBAY "community" would never
consider supporting such a candidate, inadvertently or otherwise.

Channing Thomson in San Francisco