From: Walter Reuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2007 11:57:17 AM
Subject: [MOPO] problem with ebay seller

hello everybody

I bought this on ebay for $434.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140103386017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

After it arrived,it turned out that the poster
was in much worse condition than either the
picture or the description indicated.  And, to add insult to injury, this
poster had been simply been shipped in a soft envelope without any protection
whatsoever.

The poster in fact falling apart and in
unbelievably fragile condition.

We wrote to him and told him that we were very
unhappy with the poster to which he replied:

Hi There,

I clearly described this poster
as unrestored with holes and a detatched prtion. If you're telling me that it
was damaged in shipping, I would like you to send photos of the damage. It was
packed well and I will start a claim as soon as you send photos of the damage.

Darren.

We wrote to him a second time and emphasized that
we were extremely unhappy with the poster and he wrote back:

Hi
There,

   Actually you initially did indicate it was
damaged during shipping.  What
exactly are you suggesting I
misrepresented about this poster?  I used
several pictures during the
auction and feel it was described accurately.
I am not a
business, and it costs me time and money with shipping charges
etc....so I
don't gernally accept returns, for no reason.
Darren.

It seemed to me
futile (and I was on vacation at the time) so I asked my assistants to send the
damn poster to Studio C, have it restored, and put this business behind
me.

Today Studio C
writes and says that the cost will be between $1800 and 2200, that is how bad
the condtion of this poster is.

I feel that I
have been flat out cheated and would really appreciate any comments from other
Moop members as to how to proceed.

Can I go to
PayPal and ask for a refund?

As of now, my
bottom line feeling is this---I HAVE HAD IT WITH BUYING FROM INCOMPETENT EBAY
SELLERS.  From now on, I will only buy from dealers whom I already know or
else only if a money back guarantee is made.

I am sick and
tired of this stuff happening.  The worst part of this is---how many hours
do I have in a day to waste in getting my money back when I have been
cheated?

Walter Reuben