From: David Kusumoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:52:29 PM
Subject: [MOPO] Sopanos Aftermath

And let's not forget another reason why the Sopranos was great.  It left us
with 86 shows since 1999 -- and in my view, only about 20 of 'em could be
called "duds" (and even those have to be qualified because they weren't
total stinkers).  Its detractors rightly were disgusted by the language and
sex and other elements, but David Chase created an alternate universe so
convincingly that even when you hated to watch, once you did, you were
hooked.

Any show that allowed us to see the legendary Lauren Bacall get "smacked"
and then deliver an "f-bomb" with such smoothness and assurance was worth
something.  Everyone knows Betty Bacall is closer to what we saw in the
Sopranos -- than our idealized version of her in movies.  In real life, she
swears off camera like a sailor.  There were a lot of great episodes and
star-turns, but I have to say that that episode, along with "College" in
season 1 and the episodes involving Janice popping her husband after hitting
her -- and Ralphie getting killed by Tony in the kitchen, arguing over a
HORSE -- stick out in my mind.  Oh and before I forget; the singular episode
(and probably the only) where Lorraine Bracco got to show her acting chops
-- after she's sexually attacked and has to decide whether, when she sees
her assailant later, to tell Tony to help her exact revenge.  Just a great
show...

-koose.