--- Kirby McDaniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have to agree with Kirby on this one. Saying the 20%
buyer's premium is "outdated" is simply incorrect.
It's just the method by which auction houses make
their money. Whether you like it or not is simply a
matter of personal preference.

It seems like every year or so, this argument comes up
again and again with the same viewpoint. Actually I've
always found the argument a bit ridiculous as many
other businesses/ individuals make their "commissions
and tips" the same way. Every product on the market
gets a % markup by the store after purchasing it from
the distributor. Waiters and waitresses make their
money by requesting 20% tips. What's the big issue of
an auction house making a buyers premium? The auction
house is bringing a very legit service to the poster
community and they deserve to make money for that
service. If you don't want to participate, then just
don't do it. No one is holding a gun to your head and
saying you have to buy this item from that particular
auction house. If you want to wait until it shows up
on Ebay, then just wait. Maybe it will show up and
maybe it won't. That's the risk you take as a
collector.

Also, I've always seriously wondered about the
mathematical skills some people lack when they don't
take the BP into account. If you don't want to pay
more than $1000 for an item then don't bid more than
$800. After the premium that makes the item $960. How
hard is it?

And also, just for the record, Bruce Hershenson didn't
start poster auctions. I will say that the market did
take a major increase in value when he did get
Christie's involved. And Christie's involvment did
bring a lot of exposure to the hobby that wasn't there
before, but there were other auction houses well
before then including Camden in LA and Guernsey's in
New York among others.

I should just clip and save this post so I can paste
it into a response next year.

Ron Moore
Cinema Icons

http://mail.yahoo.com