Zeev,

Both points taken, it might or might not hurt the hobby. As for me, I was after 1 Sheets like Glenn. LC's were a find after I was collecting 1Sheets so I don't think it's a black and white issue. The advent of digital displays may dilute the new collectors but the scarcity may make posters and LC's more valuable. Who knows for sure what's on the horizon? I'll still collect and I've turned on others who see my posters and LC's so maybe it will be through word of mouth and if the prices eventually go up due to supply and demand, perhaps collecting will benefit as other artwork has.

Hope all had a great T-Giving!

Patrick

On Nov 30, 2008, at 9:52 AM, lobby card invasion wrote:

Glenn,

I wouldn't be surprised if digital "posters" replace the paper ones, but if they do, where would new collectors get the idea to collect moovie paper? As for LCs vs OS, its highly personal a choice, and I don't want to get into this discussion. Suffice it to say that in movie memorabilia shows, LCs outnumber larger posters, if for no other reason than ease of transport and display. But back to my original point, I think that the elimination of lobby cards from the advertizing repertoire, have hurt the hobby in two ways: First, you can't expect new collectors to enter the hobby, and collect something thay don't know exists. And second, young people who like the young stars, simply can't get them on lobby cards. Try and collect John Torturro, Coen Brothers, or Tarantino on LCs... Collecting posters requires the space that most young people do not have!

Zeev

----- Original Message -----
From: Glenn Taranto
To: lobby card invasion ; MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Could this replace collecting actual movie posters?

Zeev -

Around Los Angeles there have been these huge screen billboards where the picture changes every few seconds. The public HATES them. And I believe there is a moratorium on them. That would signify the end of larger size posters for sure. However, I can definitely see their use in movie theatres for one sheets. It may be just a matter of time before someone says no more paper use this instead.

My question to you, were lobby cards really a jumping off point for collectors? I was young enough to collect lobby cards but all I ever wanted were the one sheets I saw. Lobby cards never entered into my collecting vision until much, much later. When I saw interesting title cards from the 1930's.

Glenn T.