it was the last money grab of the Bush administration for their buddies as they headed out into the Texas sunset

At 09:46 AM 12/27/2008, Patrick Michael Tupy wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the 'bailout' was an end-around move to get massive no strings attached tax-payer money into Wall Street after Bush failed to get the huge pool of Social Security money 'privatized'
and into the coffers of Wall Street?

Patrick

On Dec 27, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Susan Heim wrote:

I agree with you Bruce. What drove Bernie Madoff was greed. As for his "investors", greed played a part there also, but there is nothing wrong with making a profit. The fact that the promises made to these investors was so great, that should have been their red flag. We would all be naive to believe that there are not hundreds of Bernie Madoff's out there manipulating at one level or another. Look at these companys that have been and are being "bailed out" by our representatives who deemed they deserved it. What happened to representing your constituents. I haven't spoken to one person that would have approved these bailouts. In fact, most people I have spoken to were and are adamantly against the bailouts.....and the bonuses just keep on coming!! Some of these defense attorneys....blah, blah, blah, all the way to the bank!!

As for the SEC being asleep at the wheel, I think it was way more than that and wonder how many pockets go padded to look the other way. As for tying this to movie posters, that's where most of my investment is. I know it, I can count on it, I have it insured and I trust most of the people involved in it. So, that combination works for me.

     Happy holidays everyone and I hope a better year coming for all.

Sue
<http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com>www.hollywoodposterframes.com

----------

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:19:42 -0600
From: <mailto:brucehershen...@gmail.com>brucehershen...@gmail.com
Subject: [MOPO] WAY OT: What drove Bernie Madoff
To: <mailto:mop...@sol03.american.edu>mop...@sol03.american.edu

I looked at the cnn site just now and they have an article entitled, "What drove Bernie Madoff".

It tells about what a brilliant man he is, and it concludes "Several people who know Madoff say his saga reminds them of a Greek tragedy. Just like Icarus who tried to fly too close to the sun, Bernie Madoff destroyed himself in his unending quest for success and respect. Says Madoff's defense attorney, 'this is a tragedy.'"

This really offends me. He was a crook who has done untold damage to tens of thousands of people's lives (counting the many charitable groups he ruined) and he did so in the worst possible way, by being a confidence man who won their trust and then betraying it.

The people who were swindled have some responsibility, because they forgot the old adage "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is", but their doubts were overcome by their basic greed in wanting those great returns, and in their belief that no one could be dishonest and operate on that scale.

But this crook is the lowest of the low, and deserves no sympathy and is not "tragic" by any measure.

What do YOU think?

Bruce

P.S. If one thinks this has nothing to do with movie posters, it seems an absolute certainty there will be one or more movies made about this fraud, and that opens the question of what title they will choose (maybe "The Death of Icarus"?) and who will be chosen to play the lead role! Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at <http://www.filmfan.com>www.filmfan.com