Somewhere Over The Rainbow.  No contest. FRANC

-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Bruce
Hershenson
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 11:27 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] What song do you think was the greatest to ever appear
in a movie musical?

I thought the MoPo members might enjoy seeing the poll from my latest
e-mail club message (it goes to over 5,000 movie paper collectors). You
can post your vote here (of course for it to count in the official poll,
you have to be a member of my e-mail club).  You can join at
http://www.emovieposter.com/mail/clubsignup.php

Here's the poll question:

What song do you personally think was the greatest to ever appear in a
musical movie?

We previously have asked club members about their favorite movie "score"
(as opposed to "soundtrack") and favorite song from a non-musical. This
week, we thought it only fair to ask about your favorite song that IS
from a musical.

IMPORTANT! This is kind of tricky! We are looking for a single song that
was either written for a specific movie musical, or was written earlier,
but has become SO identified with one movie musical it was used in that
everybody connects that song to that movie!

We are arbitrarily eliminating songs that are from movies that are
primarily dramas, but which have a bunch of songs added to it (like
almost all Barbra Streisand movies, which is certainly nothing against
Barbra, just that we are trying to stick to actual musicals, where the
drama element is sort of secondary to the musical content) so please
don't vote for any NON-musicals, or drama movies with musical content,
as outlined above (and we realize this is completely arbitrary and
unfair, and you are welcome to argue with us in the comments field, but
please don't vote for these types of songs)!

In this poll more than any other we have ever run, there are truly
thousands of songs that COULD be chosen, and our below list is just
intended to jog your memory, and is no way comprehensive (even WITHIN a
specific movie, where we have picked one or two songs, but there might
be five others you might consider voting for JUST FROM THAT MOVIE), so
we fully expect there to be lots of "other" votes, and that is great!

Finally know that we are absolutely NOT asking which of the following
movies you liked the best, but which SONG you liked the best from one of
these musical movies or from any other!

Here are the list of choices:

"And I'm Telling You" (Dreamgirls)
"Aquarius" (Hair)
"Baby, It's Cold Outside" (Neptune's Daughter)
"Baby Mine" (Dumbo)
"The Bare Necessities" (The Jungle Book)
"Beauty and the Beast" (Beauty and the Beast)
"Blame Canada" (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut)
"Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers)
"Buttons and Bows" (The Paleface)
"Cabaret" (Cabaret)
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (The Lion King)
"Cheek to Cheek" (Top Hat)
"Chim Chim Cher-ee" (Mary Poppins)
"Circle of Life" (The Lion King)
"Do-Re-Mi" (The Sound of Music)
"Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)" (A Star Is Born)
"Get Happy" (Summer Stock)
"Gigi" (Gigi)
"Good Morning" (Singin' In the Rain)
"Hakuna Matata" (The Lion King)
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Meet Me in St. Louis)
"Hello Dolly" (Hello Dolly)
"I Could Have Danced All Night" (My Fair Lady)
"I Don't Know How to Love Him" (Jesus Christ Superstar)
"I Feel Pretty" (West Side Story)
"I Got Rhythm" (An American in Paris)
"I Remember It Well" (Gigi)
"I Whistle A Happy Tune" (The King and I)
"If I Loved You" (Carousel)
"It Might as Well Be Spring" (State Fair)
"Jailhouse Rock" (Jailhouse Rock)
"Lady Marmalade" (Moulin Rouge)
"The Last Time I Saw Paris" (Lady Be Good)
"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" (Shall We Dance)
"Luck Be A Lady" (Guys and Dolls)
"The Man That Got Away" (A Star Is Born)
"My Favorite Things" (The Sound of Music)
"Oklahoma!" (Oklahoma!)
"Ol' Man River" (Show Boat)
"On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe" (The Harvey Girls)
"On the Good Ship Lollipop" (Bright Eyes)
"People" (Funny Girl)
"Pinball Wizard" (The Who's Tommy)
"Save the People" (Godspell)
"Singin' In the Rain" (Singin' In the Rain)
"Some Enchanted Evening" (South Pacific)
"Somewhere" (West Side Story)
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (The Wizard of Oz)
"The Sound of Music" (The Sound of Music)
"Stormy Weather" (Stormy Weather)
"The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" (Annie)
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (Mary Poppins)
"Swinging on a Star" (Going My Way)
"Ten Cents a Dance" (Love Me Or Leave Me)
"Thanks for the Memory" (The Big Broadcast of 1938)
"They Can't Take That Away from Me" (Shall We Dance)
"Tonight" (West Side Story)
"The Trolley Song" (Meet Me In St. Louis)
"True Love" (High Society)
"Under the Sea" (The Little Mermaid)
"The Way You Look Tonight" (Swing Time)
"We're Off to See the Wizard" (The Wizard of Oz)
"When You Wish Upon a Star" (Pinocchio)
"White Christmas" (Holiday Inn)
"Who Will Buy?" (Oliver!)
"A Whole New World" (Aladdin)
"The Yankee Doodle Boy" (Yankee Doodle Dandy)
"You Must Love Me" (Evita)
"You'll Be in My Heart" (Tarzan)
"You're the One That I Want" (Grease)
"Younger Than Springtime" (South Pacific)
"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" (Song of the South)
Other (but PLEASE be sure to explain WHY you chose this option)

I am really curious to see how MoPo members feel vs my club overall.
Remember, ANY song is fine, on the list or not!

Bruce
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com