From: Dave Rosen <hah...@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Gertrude Lawrence was not in West Side Story
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Date: Friday, March 20, 2009, 3:57 PM

#yiv1903639331 .hmmessage P {
PADDING-RIGHT:0px;PADDING-LEFT:0px;PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;MARGIN:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv1903639331 {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;}

Watched West Side Story again recently and, as in previous viewings, was blown
away by the production design and cinematography.

And I recently had a mystery connected to it solved: I always thought the "sock
hop" scene confusing and uninspired in its staging. Well, according to a
documentary I just saw about Jerome Robbins, the reason was Robbins was either
fired or walked off the set due to conflicts with the studio over his
"perfectionism." This happened just before the scene was shot.

The result was someone else staged and shot the scene (NOT Robert Wise) and it
shows on the screen.

It's one of those films that gets better with every viewing. ...And this is
coming from someone who generally does not like musicals (except for Singin' in
the Rain and Bride & Prejudice).

Dave
www.posteropolis.com