Very true. And with comedies now, they usually show the best jokes.
Increasingly I even have to switch off TV documentaries on  movies, as I
find they reveal too much of the plot. Started to watch a BBC  doc on film
noir last weekend, but they gave away the storyline and  ending of In A Lonely
Place, and when they moved onto Kiss Me Deadly,  I decided not to take the
risk... I may have seen an  unhealthy number of these movies, but my partner
has not. Clearly,  they have to show some key scenes to illustrate a point,
but they  never used to have quite so many spoilers as they do now. Looking
back  at older documentaries that I recorded from TV, they used to have  a
more balanced structure, acting both as teasers to novices, and  with a bit
of analysis for crusty old film buffs.

A few years ago I went to a retrospective showing of Get Carter (Michael
Caine), preceded by a talk by the director Mike Hodges. During the talk,
Hodges  casually gave away the final scene. There were audible groans from the
audience, and one disgruntled person actually asked him to shut up and come
back after the film had been shown. Amazingly, being the nice guy he is,
Hodges took no offence and did precisely that, even though he must  have
originally been planning to sneak out when the film started! You could say
that
these sort of showings are primarily for an audience that  has seen the
film a dozen times before, but it's obvious on  this occasion that people had
brought friends etc along to see it for  the first time.

Back to posters, the Quad for The Fly gives away quite a lot, but  I think
this is one case where I wouldn't have minded:-
_http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=693&Lot_No=64055#ph
oto_
(http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=693&Lot_No=64055#photo)

Paul