Well, maybe a partial solution anyway. I've been reading but not commenting on this situation because everyone else was saying it all. Sue and others have very correctly pointed out that even with filing of a legal action field and the certainty that high-quality fakes were created and sold, NOTHING has been proven in court about who was *knowingly* involved and exactly what they did.

Just because Jamie Mendez (or anyone else) is mentioned in the suit does not mean they are guilty. Let's remember that. Let's also remember that those named in the suit have probably been advised not to comment publicly no matter how innocent they may be. So we have not heard from Jamie or Kerry and probably won't until the suit is resolved.

There was the call to name names early on when the scandal broke to "protect the community". Some were in favor of that while others pointed out that innocents could be named and their businesses instantly ruined by a wrong accusation.

That is The Problem, of course, not the fakes themselves. Everyone knows that fakes are bad for the hobby-business. The question is what do you do when you find a fake? The person who offered/consigned/sold it to you may not know it is a fake. Naming their name could be a terrible injustice.

But, at the same time, buyers, auctioneers and dealers want to be (and should be) protected by being alerted when something like this comes to light. Here's what I suggest as a reasonable policy for the future:

The moment a fake is discovered, the person who discovers it should notify the movie poster buying/selling/collecting community -- by naming the SPECIFIC POSTER only. Not where it was purchased or the names of those who may have been involved. Just say, "on such-and-such date, I discovered a fake FRANKENSTEIN half-sheet and have confirmed that it is a fake by consulting with this expert (nothing wrong with naming the people who discover/verify that the poster is a fake. In fact, this should be required so there are no false reports and we have the opinion of at least one expert in the field confirming that the poster is a fake).

That way, an "all-points bulletin" goes out over the wire, altering the entire community to "be on the lookout" that a fake of a specific poster has been discovered. This would not endanger anyone's reputation, but it would prevent any more of the fakes of that particular poster from being sold to the community. i.e., once people were alerted that there was one fake FRANKENSTEIN half-sheet, any additional FRANKENSTEIN half-sheets that appeared would be subject to the most careful scrutiny, second and third-party verification for authenticity, etc.

This would cut into the fraudsters profits considerably if they could only sell one, maybe two, of a specific fake before the word got out and it became too risky to try to dump any more of that particular poster on the market. It would also help identify the perpetrators if they are in the process of trying to place more FRANKENSTEIN half-sheets when the alert goes out. Kind of an Amber Alert for posters.

If everyone would now implement this idea as policy and immediately announce the specifics of a verified fake immediately -- as soon as it becomes known -- it would go a long way to putting a damper on the whole fake business without running the risk of smearing an innocent or of generating a personal defamation lawsuit.

It's not a perfect solution, but I think it would help a lot, and it may be all that we as a community can do. Besides being more vigilant, of course. We have to stop accepting that a pricey poster is genuine just because it is a pricey poster. The worlds of antique furniture and fine art collecting discovered this a long time ago.

This applies even more to linen-backed posters. I know the restorers and linen-backers won't like this much, but for their own protections we have to subject linen-backed posters to an even closer examination and second/third-party verification than non-backed posters simply because it is harder to tell if a linen-backed poster is real.

Now, if the printing/reproduction technology, and the techniques for faking the look and feel and smell of old paper get to the point where even the experts can be fooled by a fake (and we may be getting close to that day) well, then... there won't be anything to be done about that. It will then be up to the fraudsters to be smart enough not to flood the market with too many undetectable fake FRANKENSTEIN half-sheets in order to keep the value up.

-- JR

Susan Poole wrote:
This truly is a sad day but I would like to remind everyone that nothing has been proven other than the fact that these posters are fake. If you read the allegations, particularly those in Paragraphs 14 and 15 of the complaint that relate to Mendez, there is, in my opinion, a rather large jump to conclusion. Until the case is fully adjudicated, I think everyone should refrain from character assassination. Sue
LearnAboutMoviePosters.com