    *From:* MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] *On Behalf
    Of *Doug Taylor
    *Sent:* Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:17 PM
    *To:* MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
    *Subject:* [MOPO] Copy or forgery?

    The current issue of posters being copied/replicated and sold as
    original got me thinking about copies/forgeries and legal/illegal.

    Specifically, I thought about the Academy who (as I understand it)
    commissioned an exact copy of the Cavalcade OS to hang in their
    collection to represent the original OS that they do not currently
    own.  Of course, they would never represent this as anything other
    than a copy, but it made me wonder about the artist.  Whomever
    made the copy certainly knew that they were recreating a poster as
    perfectly to the original as possible and must have considered it
    a good and honest commission coming from a reputable, paying client.

    Would/should the artist have declined the commission because his
    work might have been categorized as forgery?  Is it only forgery
    if the purchaser represents the piece as authentic?  Is it only
    forgery if the purchaser attempts to sell the piece as authentic?

    Regardless, if the artist accepts the commission to make a
    legitimate copy and the purchaser then attempts to sell the work
    as authentic, was the artist at fault?

I'm not trying to slant the conversation in any one direction. This topic just caused me think more about the issues and made it
    far less black and white situation for me.

    Regards

    DBT

    Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/douglasbtaylor>