Addendum... OK, before anyone jumps all over me and says "Hey, JR, you big dummy... the PMS system didn't come into existence until 1962 and VERTIGO was released in 1958" let me correct myself: The color matching system "PMS" grew out of and earlier system and was formally re-introduced as the "PMS" system in 1962 by Pantone -- but there was an earlier color-matching system in place before that. It just wasn't called "PMS", but it was an industry standard ink color matching system used by printers to insure accurate and consistent reproduction of color among different print batches and print jobs at multiple locations -- like the kind of operation the NSS ran.

-- JR

James Richard wrote:
Rich,

I'm just guessing here, based on long-term observation:

I think there was only 1 color that VERTIGO was printed in for the original theatrical release. The NSS printing and distribution service was in its prime back then and their print shops were *very* consistent in producing the same color from one location to the next. There would have been no reason for the studio to "experiment" with different shades of red-orange. The variations we've seen over the years are too subtle to be "experiments to see which color the public responded to best."

As for accidental printer variations in the color, that's highly unlikely because in those days printers used a standard industry-wide ink-mixing formula called, of all things "PMS" (for Pantone Matching System). This was a system designed a long time ago to insure accurate mixing and printing of ink colors to a color-card reference. That thin bar of color squares you sometimes see running along the border of an untrimmed poster is actually a specific series of Pantone-numbered colors. So, a printer was told, use "PMS #XXX for the background and PMS #YYY for the title lettering", etc. While you might get a tiny ink-mixing error from one print shop or print run to another, you wouldn't see the kind of variations we have seen in the VERTIGO poster over the years coming straight out of the print shops.

Here's what I think happened: That particular shade of red-orange was *very* susceptible to changing hue/fading/turning yellowish from its original color over time and light exposure -- more so than any other color. We all know that the vibrant reds and oranges are the first to go in any light-fading situation on any poster. Even a brief period in bright sunlight... a few days... can change the hue of red/orange ink dramatically. I think the specific original color the VERTIGO was printed in is an extreme example of an unstable color when exposed to light. Note that particular color has rarely been used on other posters, particularly to cover large areas of the paper. I think its inherent hue instability is the reason for that.

This would account for all the many different, sometimes subtle and sometimes great variations in color which we see on this poster. Each one could easily be a slightly different hue from another depending on how much light it has been exposed to over the decades.

Here's one way to figure what the original color was: Lobby cards are were not displayed outdoors during the release and less likely to be exposed to light in someone's collection -- often lobby cards are kept in a file, rather than hung on a wall. Chances are the background color has not changed much with the lobby cards. Looking through the image databases at Heritage and emovieposter that seems to be the case: There is almost no variation in the red-orange color on the lobby cards from one sale to the next, going back many years. I propose that the color of the lobby cards is probably what the color of the original 1-sheet was and that all the variations we are seeing are simply different levels of hue-change/fading from light exposure.

The other possibility is that this poster would be incredibly easy for someone to reproduce and pass off as original, since the whole poster is a simple, two-color print job (red-orange and black on white paper) and the image is a stylized and simple graphic design with no photorealistic or "painterly" elements to it. If I were going to pick a valuable vintage poster which would be fairly easy to fake, the VERTIGO would be near the top of my list (the GODFATHER would be even easier, but doesn't sell for anywhere near as much).

So, my guess is either variations in the effect of light on the background color of VERTIGO 1-sheets over the years... with fakes/repros running a distant second.

-- JR

Richard Evans wrote:
I've been wittering on for ages about there being colour variations with Vertigo. Other than the standard strong red/orange, orange/red, however you see it. And other than obvious fading, or possible lighter, weaker printings towards the end of the run. I have believed there are some printed more scarlet in colour, (ink variation, different printers?) because, well, that's what I was told. But now, given how things are lately, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some unusually scarlet ones out there, which are faded ones that have been boosted by translucent inks.
Anyone know?

Rich