Jeff,

The new paper would be the first tell-tale that the lobby cards were repros. The heavier card stock paper which lobby cards have always been printed on tends to age to yellowish/brownish cream color rather quickly -- and the paper generally had a slightly "rougher" surface that most of the card stock manufactured today. So genuine original-issue lobby cards tend to look and feel very different from new ones. This aging effect can be faked in various ways, of course, but you're not asking about deliberate fakes as much as people accidentally believing a quality repro is an original card at some point. The freshness of the ink and even the sharpness of the printing would also be tells (as I'm sure you've noticed, genuine old lobby cards were often less-than-super-sharp in their printing).

So, when a high-quality repro printed on heavy card stock is new, it's pretty easy for any modestly experienced collector to recognize it as "not old enough". The problem will come down the road in 20 or 30 years when these cards have aged and mellowed and begun to resemble the originals more closely in look and feel. Plus, by then, some of them will have passed through many hands, acquiring the patina of winkles, nicks and a little blemishing along the way. But it really depends on the kind of paper the repros are printed on. Most modern card stocks will not age the same way the old card stock of 40 and 50 years ago did. But if the new cards do age in the right way (or are somehow made to do so) in decades to come it may very well be hard for someone who is not an expert or long-time collector to recognize them as not-original-release cards.

As to why no one prevents printing repros that are exactly the correct size without any identifying "this is a repro" marking, that's simple: The studios (or mega corporations) who now own the rights to those cards don't care about them anymore. They have no interest in protecting the original print run from exact duplication and they are the only ones with the legal right to prosecute someone who does reproduce them. Duplicating lobby cards (or any other poster) may be technically illegal, but if no one enforces the law, then people will continue to print them because they can make money doing so. And that's the reason they print them at exactly the same size as the original. No one would buy them if they weren't the exact size (or if they carried markings clearly indicating they are repros).

The people who print and sell exact-size reproductions are in it for the money, they are not true collectors. No true collector would every want to produce something which would undercut the value of the real thing (or possibly be mistaken for it at some point).

Having said that, they do perform a service. For example, there are a few poster images which I love tremendously, but which are so expensive that I know I will *never*... no, not ever... own a genuine original theatrical release. So in those few cases I have faced that fact and gone ahead and purchased some fairly pricey exact-size reproductions, just so I can display the images I love so much in my own home. There is nothing wrong with this -- people have been buying exact-size reproductions of million-dollar paintings to hang on their walls for over 100 years. The thing is, no one is ever going to mistake a high-quality art print on paper for a genuine painting which was originally done on canvas or artboard.

-- JR

Jeff Herdan wrote:

MoPo List [mop...@listserv.american.edu]; on behalf of; Jeff [bley...@optonline.net]

I am a comparatively new mwmber of MOPO and have been following the fake issue quite carefully. Fortunately (or unforyunately), I do not collect the Horror gendre of posters or lobbies, I confine my collecting to western Lobbies and, at times, O/S.

Something bothers me, there are certain venders of these repro Western lobby cards that advertise them on ebay. However they are of the same dimensions (11x14) as Original lobby cards. What prevents a buyer of these repro from them reselling them as original TCs?

Specifically, and I hope I am allowed to name the vender, but I do not see anything wrong in doing so: *arizona-ames* <http://myworld.ebay.com/arizona-ames/>

He honestly advertises them as repros but they can then find there way into the general population of real cards. When ebay named buyers of cards, I would see he buys them and invariably sells the original under another ebay seller's name: *6-gun-rhythm*.

Why shouldn't sellers of repros be prevented from printing them on 11x14 cards to prevent a new "fraud" from arising. Why not print them on a different size paper (i.e. 10x13) to ensure the lobby cards do not "mistakingly" subsequently fall into the general population of true original cards. This is not a personal reprimand of this seller, but I find this practice dangerous to the hobby, especially with what is currently going on and could lead to a "new" fraud.