Rich,

Here's where you and I disagree: You say that is how it is "supposed to work". I say "that is how it has often been worked in the past, but not how it is supposed to work". Even though you personally don't like hidden reserves, you seem resigned to there always being hidden reserves and the attendant questionable behind-the-scenes practices they can cause. I'm not. Hidden reserves have all but vanished from Ebay, where they used to be common. They have been replaced by the "or click Buy It Now to purchase this items for $___x___". You don't use hidden reserves on MPB. Bruce doesn't use hidden reserves on his auctions. In fact, hardly anyone uses hidden reserves anymore except Heritage and the other "big two". It's time they gave up the practice as well. It was never a good one and we are now in the 21st century. Time for the relic of the hidden reserve to go the way of the buggy whip.

I know it is common wisdom that if you try to open an auction for a $25,000 poster with minimum starting bid of $25,000 that no one will bid on it. I don't think that's as true as common wisdom would have us believe. If someone wants the poster and thinks it is worth $25,000 and willing to pay that much why wouldn't they bid that amount? And if there is someone out there who also wants it, why wouldn't they outbid the first person? After all, that is what finally happens anyway after the reserve is reached (according to Heritage, since they say their House Buyers never ever bid more than the reserve). So why keep playing this game of "we're letting you think you can get it for less than $25,000, but actually there's no way"?

But even if you do have hidden reserves, I fail to see how it is the auction house's "fiduciary duty to the seller to bid up to something just under the reserve." Where is that written into the law and ethical standards we are all supposed to operate under? No, it is the auction house's fiduciary duty to publicize and present and conduct the auction in the best possible manner to attempt to get the best price on the consignment *without* verging into shilling of any kind, or other dishonesty such as over-grading and misleading descriptions. It is "supposed" to be the duty of the genuine bidders to determine if the reserve is reasonable or not. If the reserve is reasonable, it will be reached without the help of the house shill. If not, you can try again another day when there might be different bidders around. But the house should not be pushing the price up behind the scenes just to get it near the reserve so they can flush out the people who are willing to go that higher and keep a consigner happy and log a nice commission on the sale.

When an auction house does that, they are basically engaging in a variation on the "bait and switch" pricing technique which has been outlawed in this country. In bait and switch, a store advertises a product for $2.00 but when the consumer gets up to the checkout counter they are told, "No, that was a mistake. The real price is $10.00" or "We're out of those $2.00 items, but we have one just like it for $10.00". For an auction house to publicly advertise the starting bid is $2.00 when there is no chance of anyone ever buying the item for $2.00 because it actually has a hidden reserve of $10.00 is no different, not really. I can't see it being an auction house's fiduciary responsibility to engage in a variation of bait and switch just because that's the way it's been done for thousands of years. Just because something has always been done in the past does not mean a bad practice should continue. It used to be legal to keep human beings as slaves until less than 150 years ago as well.

Please Note: I have no problem with stated reserves. They serve a valid purpose. There's no reason someone should not be able to say "I won't sell this poster at all if I can't get at least $5,000 for it". That's fine. But state it publicly in the auction description. Better yet, just make the reserve the minimum starting bid.

-- JR