Right... and John Lennon "officially" said Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was not written about LSD either, but about a picture Paul's kid drew.

These were the kinds of official denial statements that were issued after there was a social backlash against pop music and movie stars "popularizing drug use" in their songs and films -- the record companies and studios got proactive about protecting themselves for legal actions or calls for censorship by making their stars deny that any of this stuff ever had anything to do with drugs. "No sir, Mr. Media Interviewer, we din' mean nuthin' like that by it at all, honest injun..."

However, anyone who grew up during the time listening to either song could easily get what both were written about.

-- JR

Bruce Hershenson wrote:
P.S. At the shows Peter said Puff the Magic Dragon was in no way written with drugs in mind!