Steve,

You are right on all points. In the past, after the outrage subsided, things went on just as before. This time may be different for a couple of reasons:

1) A *lot* more money was lost on these high-end fakes. Millions of dollars by some accounts.

2) The reports coming out clearly show that the restoration and backing industry needs to formalize practices and standards and unique identifying serial numbers on backed items -- and to have some kind of "Underwriter's Seal of Approval" that operations who observe those practices and standards can display to show they are supporting industry reform. If they don't join together and do this they *will* lose money going forward (not to mention possibly ending up with some liability in lawsuits). So it has now become in their best interests to spend the relatively small amount of money necessary to form an industry guild and police themselves. The cost would not be that large when it was spread among the 20 or so operations and it would be well spent.

3) Some of the Really Big Players got hurt this time. Heritage and other auction houses/retailers had to refund a lot of money to customers who bought fakes from them. Maybe they had insurance to help with the refunds, maybe they didn't, but it still hurt them financially and also hurt their reputations and customer confidence. They should now be willing to back the formation of a guild to define restoration standards and practices and *identification marks* of who did the work so it could be quickly checked on.

They should also be willing to encourage genuine experts to examine their very expensive items and provide "Opinions of Authenticity" to help restore buyer confidence. Note that I call them "Opinions" of Authenticity because it is getting harder for even long-time participants in this field to identify the best of the fakes. After the John Davis fiasco, I doubt anyone would be willing to sign their name on 100% Guarantee anymore, but a solid opinion with specifics delineated would still be better than nothing, which is what we have on most very expensive items right now.

Grey is entitled to his opinion that there is no real problem in catching fakes, but history has not borne that out in recent years and besides, the public perception being what it is now, if Heritage expects to keep setting those record prices they are simply going to have to offer the buyers something more substantial in the way of authentication on high-end items than they have in the past.

Or maybe not. Maybe it will all go back to business-as-usual once again. In which case we can all look forward to even bigger scandals in the future -- and declining realized prices for genuine high-end and middle-tier authentic movie posters.

It is now in *everyone's* best interest to DO SOMETHING real and practical to help insure nothing of this magnitude happens again. Just making reassuring statements that the "sky is not falling" won't cut it. A 19% buyers premium on a $30,000 poster sale is $5,700 bucks -- they should be willing to spend a few hundred to properly authenticate it before offering it to the customers they are asking to trust them.

A money-back guarantee is a great thing. But what good does it do you if you end up buying a fake and never find out about it? Or don't find out about it for 10 or 20 years... or until your children go to sell it after you've passed it on to them in your estate?

-- JR

dsonesheets wrote:
Just a humble Japanese collector/dealer here, but that sounds like quite a lot of money you're expecting "someone" to fork over, let alone a publicity campaign for a standards group. Sounds like a shitload of money.

I have let my voice be known for my absolute revulsion for the guys like Thomas Loce, who to this day CONTINUE to have their wares up on eBay, only to cry wolf when they get caught trying to pawn those Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes posters with the official "stamp" on the back. And I only use that example because it's one most people know of. They then start agreeing with the crowd that the stamp is fake, after trying soooo hard to disprove actions like Dan Rickard.
Let's take a step back...

Seems like old times, when just three years ago that I suggested the same thing to the poster community, albeit from the other side of the restoration business. The email below was sent out to all the MOPO crowd, and I received _*ONE*_ letter of encouragement, a single letter, from the person who wrote the letter I am responding to, JR. BTW I have bolded #2 in my list, as it bears relevant interest here.

The bottom line, going forward, is that talk is cheap and actually devoting time and money to a "campaign" is something that no one wants to do. PEOPLE ONLY CARE WHEN IT AFFECTS THEIR INCOME. Let me say that again. People only care when it affects their income.

I expect a lot more fluff over the Dracula issue, and people like Loce and his accomplices will keep doing what they've been doing and making tons of money, being the King of Posters he is. What a joke. I don't expect anyone even stepping up to shout their opinions of the Drac incident from their soapboxes to really do anything. When it comes to shelling out for *WHAT IS RIGHT*, I don't expect anyone to do anything. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but that is something I would love to see.

I expect to see a few emails about this, maybe just one or two. I am honestly sickened that this community, for all the good they try to do, has no real love for the ENTIRE poster collecting/selling community, apart from their own interests (like Universal horror films, let's say). There are a few, like Ed and Sue, that really step forward and do something. I tried *THREE YEARS AGO* to start something that possibly could have prevented something like the Dracula incident from ever happening, and no one wanted to help, apart from JR. I didn't have the time, money or resources it would have taken for ONE person to do this, so it stopped there.

If there are people who are genuinely interested in devoting even time to this, I would be happy to assist where I can and even take lead on as many issues as I can. But I don't expect anything to really come out of this; maybe JR and I will start our own business. :)