Rich and others,

Well, not to act like another panicky villager with a pitchfork, but I had also been wondering for several years about the large increase in the number of high-end pieces coming to market -- when many of these items had previously been seen for sale much less frequently. And most seemed to be in surprisingly better condition then they had been previously. I put it down to improved restoration techniques and the marked higher prices which started being realized in the last 10 years motivating owners to put up for sale items they had been holding onto.

But now we have good cause to wonder if some of these increased market appearances were not S2 art or something similar which had been slightly distressed, then "restored" and backed. As you say, Rich, the artist who did the AFI repro art deliberately introduced some tiny changes to prevent fraud, but in the restoration process those deliberate changes could have been corrected. A simple way to do it would have been to identify the tiny inconsistencies with a genuine original, then tear out/wear away that bit of the poster, making it look like normal paper or color loss. Then hand it over to a restorer to fix those unsightly blemishes, effectively undoing the "fraud prevention".

Then there is the fact that these deliberately-introduced changes to prevent fraud were not widely known or publicized (still aren't for that matter, as far as I know), which kind of defeats the whole purpose. Like Doctor Strangelove said, "A Doomsday Machine is worthless if you don't let people know about it!" It would have been very helpful if there had been a publication or website precisely cataloging these fraud-prevention changes available to the public from day one.

Since some of these recently uncovered high-end fakes reportedly go back two years or more, we now have to now ask if maybe this sort of thing hasn't been going on for longer than first supposed? Perhaps it's been quite some time since some person(s) realized they could get away with this technique of deliberately distressing a high-quality exact-size repro, remove any offending inconsistencies by making such removal look like normal paper loss or color loss, then have the item restored to original specs and finally linen backed to help disguise paper differences.

Or, as Jack Nicholson said in Mars Attacks!: "Yikes."

-- JR

Richard Halegua Comic Art & Movie Posters wrote:
Yes I already know this
D. Copson, the artist who did the image cleanup & preparation made numerous changes throughout the catalog for various reasons including to prevent fraud (doesn't work if people are paying attention of course)
that's why I'll have to spend some time at S2 if I can and get more info

also, so that everyone is clear on this:
S2 Art did not create the images.
The images were supplied by the AFI (American Film Institute) as part of their commercial products division
Copson worked for the AFI and not for S2

Rich