I responded to a "Wanted" listing from a consigner in MOPO once, who was
looking for a poster that I owned.

I wasn't sure what to ask for the poster so I went to the consigner's
website and found several of the same posters listed there as having been
sold by the consigner.  I found one which seemed to be the same condition as
mine and noted the price.

I then emailed the consigner, offering my poster at that price.

I received a two word reply:  "That's insulting."

To this day I can't figure out how he should be insulted by my offering to
sell him a poster at the price he has sold it for.  I guess I was supposed
to discount the value of my poster by whatever margin he'd like to have made
so he could sell it at full value and celebrate.

I understand business and I understand that dealers need to buy at
"wholesale" and sell at "retail", but to send me a note with the cocky,
arrogant, two word response "That's insulting" when I took the price
straight off his website sets records for self-centered business practice.

DBT

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/douglasbtaylor> Profile