Thanks for the suggestions, found Diplomaniacs.

On 6 Jul 2010, at 16:29, Glenn Taranto wrote:

Richard -

The first film I can recommend is DIPLOMANIACS. I believe many consider it to be their best film.

Others would be HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY, COCKEYED CAVALIERS, NITWITS and as previously mentioned the heavily censored SO THIS IS AFRICA.

Bert and Bob only made 21 features. 20 at RKO and 1 at Columbia. They didn't start out as a team. Each had been successful in Vaudeville. Woolsey worked with WC Fields in the legit stage hit POPPY.

Bert and Bob found themselves together in RIO RITA for Ziegfeld and were a smash. When RKO bought the rights to the film the boys were the only ones from the original to go to Hollywood. Audiences loved then and RKO paired them. They lasted as a team until Robert Woolsey's death in 1937.

One reason paper is so scarce on them may be the fact that their movies were likely never rereleased afterward. I've never seen or heard of any rereleases. Nor have I ever seen any rerelease paper.

Bert Wheeler kept working up until the mid-60's when he passed away. He also made a couple of solo films. Most notably LAS VEGAS NIGHTS in which Frank Sinatra made his feature debut.

Best -

Glenn

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Evans
To: Glenn Taranto
Cc: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Wheeler Woolsey

Someone recently posted a very nice Ben Turpin lobby on NSFGE, and along with it, pointed out the depressing fact that he'd be almost entirely unknown now.

While I'm very familiar with Turpin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy etc from the BBC in my childhood (WC Fields I had to track down, they didn't put on for the kids), I have no recollection of Wheeler and Woolsey, and as far as I'm know first became aware of them through your posts.

Can you recommend a film to track down Glenn?

Read today that Britain's Morecambe and Wise were influenced by them.
Be interesting to see how much, other than the tall funny one with the glasses dying too young.