Hey Mike!

Those were great suggestions from both Bruce and Allen but
you might ask yourself a couple of questions first- such as- how fast do you
want or need to move your items? And, obviously, you want to maximize your
return so (other than Ebay fees) do you mind paying a consignors premium to an
auction house or entity?

If you’re not
pressed for time, you could go the Ebay “Buy it Now” road and gradually sell
some of your items. From my own observations, I see most “Buy it Now” items
passing- probably because most of these items are priced at some pretty
staggering numbers. I also think people aren’t looking at Ebay as much as they
used to just due to the massive numbers of listings and it’s a major pain to
sort through everything to find that “gem in the rough”.

You could also offer them in the FS listings on MoPo. Rick
Ryan, Kirby McDaniel, etc have had some success at this and you know that
(unlike Ebay) the poster collectors are looking directly at your items. No
listing fees either!

Marilyn and Elvis posters seem to do very well with very
consistent numbers at the various auction houses. I’ve had full sets of one
sheets on both of those stars a couple of times and sold them at auction. I’ve
also consigned literally thousands of posters to different auctioneers over the
years and had a lot of mixed results. But I’m a number cruncher and love to
study those results. I like to see who handles my material the best so I can
get the best return possible.

I started consigning with Superior Galleries, then Camden
and Greg Manning Auctions. I tried a couple of items with Christie’s, etc. BUT
the fees were terrible. Unless I had a “major” title where I could negotiate
separate terms, besides the consignor rate, I got stuck with photo fees,
insurance, buy-backs, etc. In one Camden sale I actually owed the auction house
money at the end of the auction for letting them sell my items.
Seriously!!  I almost let Jose
Carpio talk me into consigning to Sotheby’s until I ran the numbers and told
him the only one coming out ahead on the deal would be Sotheby’s. I was
recently contacted by Christie’s South Kensington and took a look at the
numbers they were offering. Nothing had changed and the fees were
extraordinary. I actually left the meeting wondering how they expect to compete
with Heritage or Emovieposter.

Today, an on-line presence, marketing, consignor/ buyer’s
premium rates, timely payments to consignors, past results on items and
treating the posters and the customers with integrity seem to be the most
important
aspects of choosing an auctioneer to sell your material. The ones I like the
best are Heritage and Emovieposter. I’ve used them both and find that they both
can handle these types of posters with a high level of professionalism.  For
your type of posters, they both
have shown past results that are very comparable and I don’t think you’ll go
wrong with either of them.