From: Kirby McDaniel <ki...@movieart.net>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sat, March 5, 2011 6:07:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] 2001 "snorefest" and the Windsor Cinerama...

Wonderful article, Earl.

I can tell you that this theater was the best I have ever seen a film in, and I
include the Pacific
Cinerama dome, and the Cinerama theaters in Seattle as well.  I saw DOCTOR
ZHIVAGO, OLIVER!, KHARTOUM,
THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE and 2001 there.  These films were great for that venue.

ZHIVAGO was
shot in 35mm and blown to 70, and looked great.  Sometimes they would show 35mm
stuff there and
the result was not always the best.  I recall BECKET looking a little
distorted.  The last film
I remember seeing there was THE GO BETWEEN, and I wondered at the time: "Why?"

It later became a disco, and I heard, though I never witnessed i,t that they
would project scrap film
while the patrons were dancing.  Can anyone confirm this?

It was a stellar movie-going experience.  I saw SPARTACUS at the Century City
in
L.A. when they
refurbished the film, and it looked great.  But as far as a facility, nothing
touched the Windsor.

And the SOUND was super.  Loud with great dynamic range when 70mm was the
source
--
but never drilling and harsh like the worst of these digital rigs can sometimes
be.

Kirby
www.movieart.net