Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:06:26 -0600
From: ki...@movieart.net
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Alamo Drafthouse practices.....
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Yes, they do.  It's a date destination and they are fantastically successful.
But the big moment for this is the circa 7 PM shows, which are always sold out.
  For $20 the single
types can grab a burger and see a new movie.  It's not as disruptive as it
sounds, at least for me.  There are people who don't like it, and for them
there are scads of other
screens in Austin.  I usually go to the 4PM or 9:30 shows - and at these shows
there is less of this becuase people are largely done eating.

The Drafthouse has flawless projection and sound because they actually care
about this kind of thing, as opposed to some of the other exhibitors in Austin
who have
been known to show films at reduced illumination to save on their electric
bills!  All of the Drafthouses are now 4K digital projection.  And most of the
screens are fairly
large.

This contrasts with the new Violet Crown Theater downtown, which also serves
food (you buy it and take it to your seat before the film begins) but which has
30-seat
auditoria that make you feel as if you are watching a film in your rich
friend's home theater.

The Drafthouse is PRINTING money, believe me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Kirby

Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters