Public opinion polls show it's in favour of the son but I think there has been a warming to Charles of late. Personally I wouldn't mind a public beheading and the expulsion of all royals to Devils Island, we then get on with becoming a Republic and then have the return of Tony Blair as President.

Simon

-----Original Message----- From: Bruce Hershenson
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:00 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Libel or slander

Would English subjects prefer Charles or his son to be King (I realize
they don't get to vote, but I assume there are polls)?

On 6/6/12, Neil Jaworski <neiljawor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Bruce, yes absolutely.  In the same way that Elizabeth will never
abdicate, Charles will never pass up the opportunity to be King after
waiting so very, very long.

Charles predicament is not unlike Edward VII who was 60 when he ascended the
throne upon the death of Queen Victoria in 1901.

Victoria's reign of 63 years is currently the longest on record.
However, if Elizabeth matches the longevity of the Queen Mother - who lived
to be 101 - and rules for 77 years, Charles would be 80+ before his
coronation.

The furious, impatient Prince Regent in Alan Bennett's The Madness Of King
George puts it well:  "To be Prince of Wales is not a position, it is a
predicament!"

MOPO's Royal Correspondent

Neil J