Methinks the state of education might be a bit different here in many
parts of the U.S. If I'm incorrect in my assumption, I apologize for such  an
unspeakable inference.
                                                        Rick

In a message dated 6/10/2012 8:26:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jboh...@aol.com writes:

Both my daughters are  A  English students here in the UK, they did not
study Chaucer but they  did study Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, Sense and
Sensibility, the Rime  of the Ancient Mariner as well as others.

-----Original  Message-----
From: Rix Posterz <rixpost...@aol.com>
To: MoPo-L  <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Sun, 10 Jun 2012  12:52
Subject: Re: [MOPO] HIGHLY OFFENSIVE: Seriously? - slightly off  topic

The C-word has quite a long and sometimes controversial history in  the
English language...a direct reference to it appears in "The Miller's  Tale", a
story  in Geoffrey Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales", written in  the 14th
century. (I remember being amazed by that reference way back when we  studied
Chaucer in high school.
Just wondering...is Chaucer a part of any high school curriculum today?
He's probably been replaced by Nicholas Sparks or Diary of a Wimpy  Kid...)
                                                         Rick

In a message dated 6/10/2012 3:41:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,