hahaha... I think of you as a superman, Bruce. You must be an extremely fast
typist because you seem to stay on top of MOPO posts... and that's on top of
managing all your employees!

________________________________
 From: Bruce Hershenson <brucehershen...@gmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Alien - behind the scenes, glory book....

I DO sell posters or movie memorabilia for a living and I have 25 employees and
I STILL can't reply to all the email I receive in a timely manner.

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Geraldine Kudaka <gkud...@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Dave,

>Sorry, I only answered the 1 email I got via my ebay mailbox. My MOPO box  --
>which is also used for other newsgroups and mail -- is so full I haven't
>gotten around to answering everything.
>

>I do not sell posters or movie memorabilia for a living.
>

>i spend 1 hr. in the morning on replying to emails.
>

>My apologies.
>

>________________________________

tons of extras. I'll be watching it over the next few weeks. It was half off
and
came with a super nerdy statue that lights up.

>http://www.ebay.com/itm/140763512730
>

>and fwiw, I
emailed Geraldine 4 times over the past few weeks and she never even bothered
respond.

>Pretty rude,
but I think I'll live.

>David A. Lieberman
>CineMasterpieces.com|Vintage Original Movie Posters
>15721 N. Greenway Hayden Loop,
Suite 105|Scottsdale, AZ 85260
>602 309
0500| Our
Facebook Page|Office/Gallery Open By Appt.
Only.

>In a message dated 6/22/2012 12:48:42 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
>spitfire3...@yahoo.com writes:
>Speaking of Alien.  Here is the creation of the creature. A work in progress.

          Rare ALIEN Glory book -- less than 30 produced
>>>To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>>>Date: Friday, June 22, 2012, 6:17
          AM

>>>These are not off-set printed booklets.
>>>

>>>These are made of individual photographs printed by Stanley  Bielecki's
>>>photo lab using Bob Penn's negatives. Stanley Bielecki  printed them in his
>>>darkroom using  Kodak photographic stock  paper... they were then bound
>>>using one of the folio spiral bindings  you could get at office supplies. If
>>>you look at the Alien text page  -- the one with white lettering on a black
>>>box -- you'll see the  copyright was added as an after thought with a typed
>>>file folder  label.
>>>

>>>It's easy to think the images are on paper, but they're  not.
>>>

>>>Stanley Bielecki was also the same photographer who hand  printed the photos
>>>that were folio bound into the Star Wars cast and  crew wrap gifts -- the
>>>Glory Book.
>>>

>>>Please look up the history of Star Wars Glory  books. This item is a known
>>>collectors item and can be found online at  other places than mrsminiver's
>>>ebay listing, 390426055170   Lucasfilm and Gus Lopez on swca.com used to
>>>have it up,  as well as some movie prop collectors sites, but I can't find
>>>it right  now in a 2 minute search. I'm sure you can find proof of its
>>>existence  by searching the web.
>>>
>>>As the Star Wars Glory Book is known
          among collectors -- one MOPO dealer even contacted us to buy ours
          after we started posting about our Heritage problem -- and its
          provable, limited production is not simply a statement I am making to
          increase it's rarity, it is Star Wars history.

>>>You are talking about the  manufactured booklets that were offset printed
>>>for distribution. Not  the same beast. The way to tell is to look at the
>>>paper stock and  Alien copyright -- was it a file folder label pasted on as
>>>an  afterthought?
>>>
>>>Believe me, by the time they get around to
          sending stuff to theater distributors, the copyright is not an
          afterthought.

>>>If you want the promo theater  booklet for Star Wars, we have SEALED,
>>>unopened boxes of the theater  folio, which still have intact the embossed
>>>Star Wars logo ribbon.  These are SEALED, unopened boxes...
>>>

>>>To get an idea of the off-set Star Wars booklet, you can go  here:
>>>

>>>http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=11327001
>>>

>>>They were originally sent in a white mailer-type of box with a  ribbon
>>>closure. The folios, without their boxes, are very common. The  folios with
>>>open boxes sometimes come up on ebay.
>>>

>>>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86409487/cam1.JPG
>>>

>>>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86409487/Cam9.JPG
>>>

>>>The sealed, unopened boxes are rarer... How many people receive a  box and
>>>don't open it?
>>>

>>>You can also ask Rudy Franchi about Charley's marketing of  Star Wars.
>>>

>>>Charley's marketing of Star Wars, especially the advance  merchandising and
>>>licensing, changed the way movies are marketed.  There were a few films
>>>released before Star Wars with advance  merchandising and licensing, such as
>>>Paramount's "The Great Gatsby"  and 20th Century's "Doctor Doolittle" but
>>>for box office results --  but it was Star Wars' Kenner line which changed
>>>movie marketing.
>>>

>>>________________________________

          ring binder books for Willow and for Chariots of Fire. I may even
have
          more than one each and I may even have others

>>>it's obvious that
          some are just photographic prints, while others look like they were
          printed editions

          wrote:
> [...]
          booklet is not accurate.  These booklets were sent out to
          exhibitor owners and execs.  Back in the 1970's  there still
          existed numerous blind bid states.  I worked in
          Texas
          sizes of Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin and the
          money those markets represented
          theatre chain had to commit to a film, sometimes a year in advance,
          with terms outlined (1st two weeks at 70% 2nd two weeks at 60% etc.)
          and frequently putting up at times tens of thousands
          all together 100's of thousands of dollars on the blockbusters
          WITHOUT EVER SEEING A SCRAP OF FILM.  So these booklets were sent
          out prior to bidding and came in all kinds of formats.....some just a
          couple of fold out pages to nice booklets with on set
          photography.  If my memory isn't completely failing, I recall
          booklets on STAR WARS, ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, APOCALYPSE NOW, WILLOW,
          OUTLAND, EXCALIBUR and a few others that
          impressive.  Others like ET (at the time called A BOY'S
          LIFE)  were just gate folded brochures (no picture of ET for sure
          that was such a huge secret). Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK,
          CLASH OF THE TITANS, etc. etc.
          single printed sheet saying who starred, produced and directed.
          (Can you imagine buying a car with a tarp over it and being given
just
          a description and some art, commit to it, and not expect
          delivery
          bidding!)

          preposterous.  Just in Texas alone  there had to be at least
          25 to 35 theatre chains, each film buyer and marketing guy receiving
          copy. In the theatre chain I worked at, we usually would receive four
          to five and we were only in San Antonio.  Now  multiply
          those number by triple (or more) to accommodate the personnel at
          circuits like Plitt, AMC, General Cinema, United Artists, Mann,
          and you can see the numbers required approach a 1000 in no time.
          Plus certain critics at the major National News agencies received
          copies on occasion.

          order. Once a brochure is on the printing press, or photos being
          printed and spiral bound,  do you honestly think under 30 would
          be printed?  Because once on the presses it almost as cheap to
          print several  thousand as it is 20. The $$ are in the
          set-up.

          the Studio Release books from the 1930's that pop up
          frequently.

          copy to limit their numbers to generate a false sense of
          scarcity.  This is not the case with these marketing tools.
          Whether they have ever been in an auction or not is
          irrelevant.
          ($5000)  as a MOPO buddy I just hate to see someone look so
          foolish..

          wrote:

> [...]
          Will be announcing posters later, but thought the avid Alien
collector
          might be interested in this ebay item.

          on the successful marketing of Star Wars, Charley Lippincott was
hired
          by Johnny Friedkin / Fox to market Alien.

          This ebay auction is for a rare photo booklet made for Fox's studio
          heads.

          290731119615

          message addressed to: lists...@listserv.american.edu

          author of this message is solely responsible for its content.

          Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com

          message addressed to: lists...@listserv.american.edu

                    In the BODY of your message type:
          SIGNOFF MOPO-L

--
Bruce Hershenson and the other 26 members of the eMoviePoster.com team
P.O. Box 874