Hi Kirby , since there were tens of thousands of different posters made since
the beginning of movie posters there's of course a lot of french ones that look
wrong for sure , but since the topic was on what posters look really right
french artists soubie and mascii made a lot of wonderful créations

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:30:13 -0500
From: ki...@movieart.net
Subject: Re: [MOPO] ICONIC BILLBOARD
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Filip et al,
I have to say that there are lots of French posters that look really, really
wrong as well.  The Italians are the best at this, and they get it wrong, too.
I think a blind test of illustrations of stars lifted from posters would reveal
that we often acceptthat an image is so and so because the poster tells us it
is so and so.
Other than the economics of the issue, one of the reasons that I'm sure the
studios were happy to moveto offset is that they could use photographs of the
stars as well as art.  Photographs would insure ahigher recognition factor I
think.

Kirby McDanielMovieArt Original Film PostersP.O. Box 4419Austin TX
78765-4419512 479 6680  www.movieart.commobile 512 589 5112

On Jun 13, 2013, at 10:32 AM, filip de volder <runbuffy...@hotmail.com>
wrote:as for french posters , there's really a lot  of them that were done by
great artists and  look really right (though the french Niagara also looks
terribly wrong ) french artists soubie and mascii were really top !   filip

> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:44:08 +0200
> From: texasmu...@web.de
> Subject: Re: [MOPO] ICONIC BILLBOARD
> To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>
> The first poster that comes to my mind is the french LE MEPRIS:
>
> http://www.filmposter.net/movieposters/poster/movie/original/le-mepris-contempt-3/
>
> Helmut
>
> Am 13.06.2013 um 15:43 schrieb Kirby McDaniel:
>
> > Marilyn's posters - across here entire filmography - often to do not look
> > like Marilyn. Very few of the illustrations get
> > it really right. Most of them are Marilyn-like. This is often the case with
> > film posters. The image of Veronica Lake on THIS GUN FOR HIRE does not look
> > like
> > Veronica Lake. Some Blonde is pictured.
> >
> > So here's a question for the list - excepting photographs - which
> > illustrations on film posters really get the image of a star -
> > doesn't matter which one - REALLY right?
> >
> > I point to the Roger Souble portrait of Veronica Lake. There is art that
> > really captures the look and the essence of the star's appeal.
> >
> > K.
> >

> > Kirby McDaniel
> > MovieArt Original Film Posters
> > P.O. Box 4419
> > Austin TX 78765-4419
> > 512 479 6680 www.movieart.com
> > mobile 512 589 5112
> >
> > On Jun 13, 2013, at 7:30 AM, Zeev Drach <lobb...@rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Gorgeous poster but is it just me or does Marilyn not quite look like
> >> Marilyn on all posters on this title.
> >>
> >> Zeev

 to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to:
listserv@listserv.american.eduIn the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF
MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.