I’ll pass your info on to heathcare.gov…

From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 1:57 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Looks like gavelsnipe is down...

As someone who owns servers to rent/hosts other companies, consider what 99.9%
uptime actually is. It is the total number of minutes in a month x
(100-uptime%)/100
= 30days x 24hours x 60min x (100-99.9)/100
= 43200 x (0.1)/100
= 43.2 minutes (max downtime).

So, 99.9%, means your website should not be down for more than a total of about
43.2 minutes in a month and as the total number of minutes in a month is about
43200 minutes, 0.1% of downtime is actually very minimal. Basically your host
is promising  that your website won't be down for a max of 43.2 minutes per
month, this does not mean that your site will be down for 43 minutes every
month, it's just the probable maximum.

Of course if your website is down because you failed to keep it secure then
that's your fault, or if you are using software provided/hosted by another
company elsewhere and they go down then that's their fault not the fault of
your website host.

Nowadays it's highly unusual for a site to be down, like all good hosting
companies we run international redundant dns which basically means should our
main server go down we auto switch to another server in another country (in
case its a regional issue) with little or no disruption to services.

David

Richard Halegua Posters + Comic Art did previously state on 7/12/2013 4:18 AM:

as someone who has rented servers for almost 20 years at this point, I can say
that all server administrators only guarantee 99% uptime and while I can say my
servers have provided a much better performance than 99% over the years, there
have been times when my servers have gone down, or even situations were files
mysteriously disappear from the server causing problems with my website(s)
delivering data.

Anyone who will say they have never had any difficulty with their servers,
their websites etc are not to be believed