OK, so it would appear that my impassioned plea for a later start has not
elicited the response I had hoped for, as the voting still appears to be 2
to 1. As  the finishing times of auctions is something I have raised on
many occasions, both on forums and directly with the auction sites, I was
pleased at first to see Bruce airing the issue. I have to ask myself,
however, why Bruce decided on this apparently democratic method of deciding
what is, surely, a business decision? I am someone who regularly buys from
emp and who has always appreciated their customer service, but  I am now
wondering if this was ever a real proposition.  I know Bruce will probably
bristle at the suggestion that he wasn't entirely serious, but surely the
question of auction finishing times is a matter for him alone to decide,
based on best practice, either for commercial or service reasons. The fact
that he has drawn attention to the issue surely suggests that he regards it
as only fair that all should have equal bidding opportunity. I cannot blame
the majority of those in USA not wanting extra bidders, as who wants to pay
more if they can avoid it? Also the question on the website simply poses a
blunt question, with no explanation as to why the time should be changed.
It is unlikely that all the visitors to the site have subscribed to MOPO or
MPF. Bruce's Sunday auctions finish at what is, for Europe, a reasonable
time, and he must be able to ascertain whether or not that leads to
increased bids from there. Why not just try finishing an hour earlier and
see what happens?