I posted something previously about an alternate printing of the The Ipcress
File quad, with similarly lacks printer details, heard no theories.

Details here: http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/12127/Ipcress-File-quad

I’m not assuming anything worse than they ran low, and got some cheapo
printings later in the original release.

Perhaps somewhat similar to French posters (Les Diaboliques for example) where
there’s a more basic, cheaper printing which I understand is attributed to
provincial screenings.