well it would ba a passion project as booking films..and the costs...ifits digital upgraded..butifits old school 35mm that can be ticky...so its high riskandto belimited tothe locals only evenmakes itsmaller...but many are still doing it as nonprofits, hobbys...butas a biz..its risky.... ourlocal small theaterisoffering popcorn by te bucket for pickup////perhaps remarketas kids birthdays..andother meetings...orsell memoranbilia inthe theater..oroffer video rentals...ormix italltogether..Ilovetheold theaters andtheymay make a comeback.. who knows...right nw all are closed.. inmycity ofTolledo OHIO... a tough time for movies...the big titles are gobbled up by thechains...soindie theaters are even harder...but neversay never...anythingspossible....ifpeople can geta movie and popcorn under 10 you may get some patrons..just remeber theoverhead likeavc, heat,,insurance,,labor,,,will be thebig costsand the mortgage...some times people liveinthe theater ..that saves cocts as you need a place to live..... also ROOFs onold theaters are many times expensive to Maintain.....like 10-20K...andifyou havea parking lot... cost there too..crunch the numbers...as ifyoulove movies..it could be fun evenifyou dontmake profits..

On 2020-03-25 05:15, Tony Calvert wrote:
Some great responses to my recent post about the future of movie
theaters.  Just wanted to share my thoughts about some.

At about 6 years old I was allowed to go to our local theater.  A
fairly common, no so clean theater.  My cousin started as a
projectionist at 13 (old carbon arc projectors), so I was allowed to
go in the balcony when he was working.  I had so many fond memories of
going and seeing the process, etc.  It closed down in 1974, and no
theater has been in my town (5,000 population) since that time.  There
are several screens about 15 minutes from here.

A few years ago I found a theater about 30 miles from home in a town
of about 2,000 population. It is off the beaten path and has been in
operation since 1926.  It is fairly nice, one regular screen, and a
smaller one upstairs with probably 100 seats.  It is fascinating as
they run first run movies and the price is always $1.50.  Snack bar
you can get a decent size drink and a decent size popcorn for $5. I
have been to a few movies, seems to always be busy, a well behaved
crowd, etc.  I think the people that go are proud of their theater.

I was recently contacted to look at some paper and 35mm film in a
theater in Georgia.  I took the 12 hour drive and was pleasantly
surprised to find a theater that was built in 1927.  It is 1 screen
with a capacity of 400, this includes a recently remodeled balcony.
It had closed due to the virus, but it seemed very clean and nicely
historic (not a palace, just a nice small town theater).  The owner is
probably close to 70 and is going to sell it, but it will stay in
operation during the process.  It is on a town square and a city of
about 9,000, the only screen in town.  The closest other screens are
about 30 minutes away.  Just a side note, the material is from the
late 90s to current, no Frankenstein's or Dracula's.

Just some positive thoughts about a couple of theaters, there are
still a few out there like this.

[1]

Links:
------