Glenn,

To get back to your original question, certainly a leading candidate would
be the man who consigned the wonderful collection of serial one-sheets I
auctioned in my Auction in 2001 which was contained in my book, To Be
Continued (see all the images online at
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/publication/To%2520Be%2520Continued.../archive.html
).

The owner, Frank, who was still alive, had bought the one-sheets himself
(starting as a teenager) between 1932 and 1952. He got them from the San
Francisco poster exchanges. The people there were not supposed to sell them
to non-theater people, but he got to know them, and they did the kid a
favor, and over the years he because a regular!

He kept them in incredible condition, and he is one of the only long time
collectors who resisted the temptation to sell any of them as the prices
rose. When he contacted me at the end of 2000, he said he was having health
issues, and that otherwise he would never sell.

He said one thing that stuck with me. When I told him the kind of money he
would likely get (which was surpassed when the posters auctioned) he was
amazed. He said there had been one "old guy" at the exchanges who kept
telling him that he was "throwing away his money" buying the posters, and
that he should do ANYTHING else with it. He said he wished that old guy
could see how much money they were worth in 2000 (but of course that guy
was surely long gone).

So not only did Frank start in 1932, surely making him one of the earliest
collectors ever, but he also solely bought as a collector, and did not get
a huge chunk to start out with, as so many collectors do. And he held onto
them for 68 years (for the oldest ones) so he surely qualifies as one of
the longest term collectors too.

And of course there was also Charles Dyas, who started his collecting in
1921 (with his TWO Cabinet of Caligari one-sheets), but he was a theater
owner, and he saved ones from movies he showed, so i don't know if he
counts. But he DID also keep all his posters until the late 1980s, when he
passed away, so he was another super long time collector.

And there was the other theater owner who bought a trunk filled with 1930s
posters in 1946, including The Invisible Man and Dracula, and he held those
until he consigned them to me in 1998, yet another really long time
collector.

And there were others, but those are for another time!

Bruce

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM Glenn Taranto <exit82afi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> OK, Admittedly too much time on my hands...
>
> Have any of you ever wondered (or know) who is considered the earliest
> know poster collector?  Forry Ackerman, perhaps?
>
> I can just imagine some kid standing in front of a Paramount theatre and
> staring at a Metropolis one sheet wishing they could own it.
>
> GT

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>