This debate has been going on for years and people remain split on it.  In
fact, more recently there was this raging debate on a fan site about removing
personalization from a genuine signature from a Beatle.

My thoughts, then vs. now, have changed.

I used to think personalization ruins a book, poster, photograph, whatever.  I
no longer do and prefer it because:

1) The more strokes of a pen, the easier it is for authenticators to separate
what's genuine vs. what's a forgery.
2) Collectors can still prefer NO personalization - but it gets complicated
when it's done by a celebrity who is no longer alive.

Recently, a collector wanted opinions about removing personalization from an
item signed by John Lennon.  The signature was authenticated by two different
organizations - and the collector said seeing "personalization" to another
person not sharing his name - really bugged the crap out of him.

Where I fall on this is simple.  I would NEVER want to erase a single pen
stroke done by a legendary figure.  Same with authors.  I prefer
personalization from an author like Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Didion,
E.B. White, Virginia Woolf, etc.   I don't care if the personalization is for a
random fan vs. for someone who was famous, the latter of course would enhance
value. To me, it represents the celebrity taking an extra few seconds to write
something besides his / her name.  I myself would never erase personalization
from even a single-genre celebrity like Mark Hamill, who is notorious about
publicly calling out fakes of his own signature.  Separate from signatures,
restoration of paper does impact the perception of value, e.g., sometimes a
poster needs it and the value goes up or down or stays the same.  In the comic
book world, though, restoration does have devastating impact on value.

Of course, right now people want to remove things like, "Best of luck William,
All the Best! Paul McCartney" - if they're not named William.  They're look at
personalization as hurting market value.  Probably.  But when someone like
McCartney eventually passes - and the world mourns him - the perception of
market value with or without personalization DOES shift.  Again, speaking for
myself, I would never want to remove anything signed by such a person.  That's
like wanting a portion of Albert Einstein's writing removed because it includes
something like, "You're a smart young man, Herbert!  Good luck!  A. Einstein."
-d.