Hey everyone.

John B said:

 I am not sure I agree that "Intellect is highest because it is most
 creative". Perhaps we are just quibbling over words, but when Pirsig
 suggested a level of art, I think he was pointing, rather vaguely, to a
 level above intellect. He went on to equate this, if I remember correctly,
 with dynamic quality, but this is perhaps just too simple, for the dynamic
 occurs at every level (ie the hot stove).

Regarding the first sentence, it's always been my belief since reading Lila
that intellect was above society because ideas change society.  think if it
were the other way around.  Galileo's theory of the earth revolving around
the sun would have been morally negated by society because it would be a case
of intellect trying to suppress society. And there are obviously many other
examples of that, of which i am too damn lazy to think of and write,
especially when ive got my new radiohead and paganini cds to listen to(!!!).

Part of this idea about the code of art was told to me by someone on this
mailing list whom i can't remember at the moment.  ANyway, i see the code of
art as the collective production of the intellectual level.  Every level
produces something higher than itself in evolution:  inorganic compounds
produced biological organisms, humans produced societies, societies produced
ideas, and then ideas produce art.  IMO this fifth level is only mentioned
once and isnt discussed in detail because it has no practical value in
dealing with the other four, other than what i just mentioned up there.  it
seems to me as simply a collection of developed ideas existing but not
directly involved with the lower levels in terms of morals.  Im trying right
now to envision how you guys are going to ream me on what i just said, but i
guess ill just have to wait.  do your worst.

Until then,
rasheed (packt like sardines in a crushd tin box)