But language/imagination isn't Quality's Intellect, we may safely
assume that cave-dwellers spoke as complex (grammatically) a
language as ourselves,.......

I don't think thats a safe assumption really, what are you basing that
assumption on?
        One experiment i have read about that is interesting on the subject
of emotions involved cats that had their brains exposed and certain parts
were probed until they found a part that when "prodded" gave the cat a
pleasureable response. When, however the same part was prodded with more
pressure the cat did not have a pleasurable response but experienced fear
and anxiety (I think it got violent). i'll dig a bit to try and get the name
of this research and post it on. I think the problem with emotions is in the
trying to tie them down at one level of existence in the MOQ hierarchy only.
an emotional state can arise from an intellectual thought process, a sexual
activity and sometimes seemingly from nowhere ( I don't like to use the term
unconscious).

An animal with no knowledge of life and death is immortal.
So if i had no knowledge of life or death would i be immortal? imagine i was
abandoned as a child on a desert island with a lifetimes supply of rations
etc but had no schooling whatsoever, couldn't talk and had not encountered
death)?

when we "feel" something do we mean "I" in the sense of my body or "I" as in
the "I" in "I will"? Allready that might imply there is a division opening
up as we feel our buns get hot when we sit on a hot stove but the manner of
expression in the brain of that sensation is different from that felt by the
hot bun. Is there a different meaning connoted to "myself", i think to
explore these terms (as they are fundamental aspects of "appreciating and
realising Quality) would be valuable.

But the Q evolution is open-ended, a 5th level will modify Intellect.
This makes ME shiver and (at times) wish that Pirsig never had
opened this Pandora's Box.
I agree it is scary, i have a tentative approach to discussing this but
cannot find the threads to previous 5th level posts. my tentative approach
doesn't try to set out what the 5th level is but rather tries to determine
its existence by its effects on the lower levels, and use this approach to
2hunt" it and try to get at its meaning. I think meaning is all that we
would get as anything else would be further abstracrtion on an intellectual
level.

delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.