Dear Andy,
Having used the NextEngine with both the minimum and recommended
specs (for scanning humeri)I would advise to go for the recommended
specs as a baseline. As you said RAM isn't a problem,I'd put as much
as you can in (although to go above 4gb you'll obviously need a 64bit
OS) -the scanning program sucks up memory,especially when aligning
scans and fusing them.
Hope that's of help.
Tom O'Mahoney