Dear tpsDig users,

After a time away from using tpsDig I am back digitizing Sympetrum (Medowhawk
dragonfly) wings with tpsDig2 … with a twist.  I am doing it on a Mac using
wine, the PC emulator.  It works well but I am in need of one of the old
functions called template-mode.

In the 'old days', template mode allowed you to use an empty tps list of image
file names with LM set to zero to acquire a first set of landmarks on specimen
1 and then inherit those landmarks to specimen 2 and then in an edit step take
one of the extreme landmarks and move it to its correct location on specimen 2
with all the other landmarks following in parallel.  Then on had the
opportunity to pick up another extreme landmark and move it to its correct
location … all the while the other landmarks were scaled to fall at their
calculated positions in between … relatively close to where they should be in a
similar or identical species.  This was a very valuable tool for inheriting the
general locations of landmarks on 2-D specimens such as my hundreds of
Sympetrum wings.

Now, as I am using the template mode of tpsDig2 most recent version, I see that
the new inheritance mode works differently and I want to be sure that I can use
it most effectively.

I now, after digitizing my first specimen in the tps list, put on template mode
and go to my next image.  I then grab a central, rather than an extreme
landmark and move it to its correct location on the image. Once I then release
it all the other inherited landmarks have been moved in parallel to new
locations somewhat near their correct locations but would benefit from rotation
or isometric scaling to be closer to their correct locations on the image.  I
then have the sometimes laborious task of moving the landmarks to their correct
positions and when they need substantial rotation or resizing the task is more
laborious than in the old days when the resizing and rotation were a part of
the inheritance protocol.   …   Am I missing some widget or control-key the
would allow better inheritance of the landmark positions.  Perhaps in using
wine I have lost some help file  that would have told me how to use the new
inheritance tool.

It still is the best 2-D digitizing software, is it not?

Joe

=º}}}}}><
Joseph G. Kunkel, Emeritus Professor
Biology Department
UMass Amherst
Amherst MA 01003
j...@bio.umass.edu

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you
suspect that you were not intended to receive it please delete it and notify
the sender as soon as possible.