In the botton line of page 53 of Quick Guide to Geomorph v2.1.6 regarding
trajectory.analysis (Y ~ cov + A * B), A and B are called "factors", which
seems to suggest that A and B are categorical variables. Continuous
covariates could be included in the formula, but this is only optional. In
contrast, it seems that there must be two categorical variables (A and B)
appearing in the formula.

Following this line of thought, I am wondering if is there the need to
convert the continuous age variable (age) into a categorical variable
(age_cat) before applying the trajectory analysis. I am not sure whether
one should use trajectory.analysis(shape ~ group * age_cat )
or trajectory.analysis(shape ~ group * age).

Best regards,
Patrick