Both Artec scanners and LMI's HDI series scanners are more than good enough
for scanning materials for morphometrics. I have used both on several
projects, and know lots of groups with either that are happy with their
choice. As Dennis says, the LMI series works very well with a turntable.
You can also use a turntable for Artecs-I believe Marcus Bastir has had
some success with this.
Blue light scanners, you are not going to manage colour texture
unfortunately-I have used them out in Kenya with relatively harsh light
conditions and they're pretty bomb proof. The texture capture for the
Artecs is beautiful, but post processing takes a lot longer.
Basically you pay your money and take your choice.
Best,
Tom O'Mahoney
University of Manchester