From: Guillermo Navalón [mailto:guiyelm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 9:34 AM
To: MORPHMET <morphmet@morphometrics.org>
Subject: [MORPHMET] Problems with min-dsquare sliding in tpsRelw

Hi everyone,

In a very disparate sample of bird skulls I am using a configuration with both
lnmdks and smlndmks. Specifically, to capture the lateral morphology of the
beak (likely the most variable area) I digitized 2 curves with 15 evenly-spaced
semilandmarks.

The 2 curves are constrained by 3 regular lndmks forming a triangle, the
tip-of-the-beak landmark (landmark 1) is the anterior end of both curves.

When I slide the smlndmks in tpsRelw with min-dsquare slide method some of the
anterior smlndmks collapse in a very narrow section in both of the 2 curves in
the Procrustes superimposition. This effect is not affecting to the other curve
in the configuration (midline of the neurocranium) that is apparently much less
variable in my sample. Also, minimum bending energy slide method does not
affect the superimposition in this way, but I want to try to use min-dsquare.

I have tried to change the slide maximum iterations and slide recursive options
but still recover the same effect.

 Any idea what is going on here? Is it a bug of the program or is it a proper
statistical effect?

Thank you!

Guillermo Navalón