Hi all,

Thanks for everyone who participated in the survey. While there is quite a bit
of interest for using 3D volumetric data for many different biology questions,
people seem to be frustrated with the most mundane of tasks: Getting the data
into a format and a software that will eventually let them collect morphometric
data seems to be a major challenge. This really surprised me. That was
certainly an issue 15 years ago, but it shouldn’t be the case anymore.

I just started a blog (https://blogs.uw.edu/maga/) based on the SOPs of my lab
and tutorials I used to train students. Currently it has three entries:

  1.  An introduction to the open-source 3D Slicer imaging suite, it is
capabilities, and how to find help about it.
  2.  A long tutorial of working with data from DigiMorph (Data import, linear
measurements, landmarking, 3d visualization, down sampling, and segmentation)
  3.  A short tutorial on getting data from MorphoSource into Slicer and how to
fix DICOM issues.

They are not in the most appealing format, as I copied and pasted from existing
documents, but I think they are functional enough to get an interested party
started with his/her project. I did try to put links to the online
documentation of every module mentioned in tutorials. If something is not clear
from my description, you can go the source and check it out its details.

Feel free to comment and post specific questions on the blog, so that other can
benefit from it. I would be particularly interested in knowing other imaging
repos that cannot be imported into Slicer with the methods described in these
tutorials. I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Hope this helps some.