Dear Avi,

I guess it's hard to formulate any rule of thumb.

Some analyses might not be defined if the number of variables exceed the number of observations. Some other analyses might be defined (there is many distance-based analyses nowadays which circumvent that problem).

However, whether a given analysis is defined doesn't mean that the inference is necessarily accurate. I guess it depends on what you plan to test/measure and the effect size you expect.

Andrea Cardini has some papers that can give you some hint on this, such as:

Cardini & Elton 2007 - Zoomorphology

Cardini et al. 2015 - Zoomorphology

Cardini & Elton 2017 - Hystrix

They should be downloadable from his website https://sites.google.com/site/alcardini/home/pubs

Obviously, having an idea of variation on your own data would be better.
I hope this helps.
Carmelo