If that is the case then you may just want to add a constant value to
all the data prior to entering them into the DF.  Wouldn't that work?
Clay

Clay E. Corbin, PhD
400 East 2nd Street
Hartline Science Center
Biological & Allied Health Sciences
Bloomsburg University
Bloomsburg, PA 17815

Phone: 570-389-4134

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/13/2004 8:00:31 AM >>>
I don't really remember the details of what the Burnaby
scale-adjustment
does, but I think it's somewhat similar to Darroch and Mosimann's
approach to scale adjustment (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  With
D&M, the measurements are transformed by dividing through by some
reasonable measure of size (for example, the geometric mean of all the
distances).  If Burnaby and D&M are similar in what they do to the
data,
you're probably having problems with discriminant analysis because
your
variance-covariance matrices are singular (rank = number of
measurements
- 1) and can't be inverted.  Darroch and Mosimann describe how to get
the discriminant function scores out when using their brand of scale
adjustment.

Darroch JN and Mosimann JE  (1985)  Canonical and principal components
of shape.  Biometrika 72: 241-252.

I hope this helps.

Tim Cole

At 12:21 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Have anyone had problems with the tolerance in discriminant analysis
if
>the input variables for such anlaysis have previously been
transformed
>by Burnaby's method?
>
>We are studing the population structure of a fish species in the
North
>Atlantic.
>17 variables (distances between landmarks) have been measured for
each
>fish , following the truss network model and in adition we have
measured
>some other structures as eye diameter, fin lengths, etc.  We have
4391
>cases, distributed in seven geographical locations. In order to
>eliminate the size influence, we have used two methods, i.e.,
residuals
>against standart length, and the Burnaby's method.
>
>Once we have removed the size effect, we run a discriminant analysis
>observe differences between areas. We have no problem if we use the
>residuals as input for the discriminant analysis. But we cannot
perform
>a discriminant analysis  using as input the Burnaby's transformed
>variables, because we have problems with the tolerance of the
variables:
>the matrix is ill-conditioning.
>
>The problem doesn't seem to be in a particular variable or in a group
of
>data (data has been carefully screened for outliers). Simply, there
is
>some redundancy. However the correlations between variables are not
>particularly high.
>
>We have also study if the problem is in the data, running the
>Discriminant Analysis with different combinations of the seven
locations
>we have. But the results don't give us a clue.
>
>For example, when doing the analyses with four locations (a-d), it
>works. But as soon, as you introuduce some of the other three (e-g),
it
>fails. However, some combinations of e, f or g, with other locations
it
>works. Thus, not neccessarily the problem is in the locations e-g,
but
>when these locations are together with some other, but there is no
clear
>pattern.
>
>The same thing occurs with the variables. We have removed the
variable
>than enter at last step (when tolerance drops below the limit), but
then
>is another variable which cause problems, and if removed is another
one
>and so on.
>
>We suspect that the problem is relared with the way that burbany
method
>estimate the transformed variables. Can anyone help us?
> [...]
http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/morphmet.html.

Theodore M. Cole III, Ph.D.
Department of Basic Medical Science
School of Medicine