Dear Brett and Marta,

I think the problem you are encountering may not be the size-versus-shape issue, but a
Normal distribution issue.  PCA Analysis assumes multivariate normality.  I know for
human beings the distribution of men and women combined is often not Multivariate
Normal.  It is bi-modal and the male and female variance-covariance structure is
different.  This dramatically affects the correlation and covariance matrices and
provides misleading components.  I would assume this could be true for catsharks as
well, and suspect that is why you found such a large amount of variation seemingly
explained by your first component.  We have found that for humans the lack of
Normality is big enough that it requires doing separate PCA analyses for men and
women, and in some cases separate analyses by ethnicity as well.  In addition, it
sounds to me that you have additional modes or non-normalities due to age.  (I
generally only work with adults.)  Have you checked to see if your data is Normally d!
 istributed?  If it isn't you could consider separating your samples into subgroups
(gender and age groups) that are normally distributed, prior to PCA analysis.  In
other words, you would do a PCA analysis for each group, rather than just one PCA for
all of them combined.   I don't know how difficult this may be, not knowing your data.
 Or you might check into classification methods that do not depend upon the normality
assumption.

Most discriminant analyses also assume that the attributes of the entities within each
group are Multivariate Normal, and that the variance-covariance structures of the
entity attributes are equal across groups.  You might be OK with the within-group
normality assumption, but if there are important shape differences due to age or
gender as you say then you may not be OK with the assumption of equal
variance-covariance across groups.   For example, there may be a strong correlation
(covariance) between two attributes in younger growing catsharks that disappears when
they reach adulthood.  This would cause a difference in the covariance structure.  You
could break your data into groups and look at the differences/similarities in the
variance/covariance matrices.  This will tell you a lot about the similarities and
differences between your groups as well.

Hope this is helpful,

Kathleen M. Robinette, Ph.D.
Principal Research Anthropologist
Air Force Research Laboratory